söndag 9 oktober 2011

My first impression

When I saw all the pages in the beginning with the great critics the book has been given my first impression was that "this must be a good and serious book, I look forward to read it".

However, when I started to read the book my first impression was that it was interesting but a little bit weird. I thought it was interesting because the story is told by a very interesting person (Balram). The fact that the book starts with him writing a letter to the prime minister of China made the book, of course, even more interesting. I thought that Balram Halway seemed a little odd because he refers to himself as a "great man". I think that this shows that he is a bit egocentric or just very self-confident. I also understood that this man wasn't very well-read since he says that he admires China because it is a great country of freedom and individual liberty. But I'll write more about the main character later...

The book is written in a way which catches the reader, because when you read, it feels like Balram is talking to you while he is telling his life story. I haven't read many books which are alike this one and I think it is great that it is different from what I've read before. The only book think this is similar to is "Slumdog millionaire", which also is about an Indian young man who tells the story of his life.

To sum up I can say that overall the book made a good first impression on me and what I thought was the most intriguing was the main character.  

    

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar